In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Something New

I am writing this post and the sun is still up. I don't know if anyone is paying attention to when these things get posted, but it is generally around the midnight hour. I am able to write this tonight because my tiniest man is taking an insanely late second nap. I know he will wake up just as I am ready for bed. But I also need to write it now because I am undertaking something new. Something a little daunting. I am making lemon meringue pies. Not one, but two of them. That's how it works with me. I can't just do a little. I have to do it BIG. Hopefully tomorrow's post will include some beautiful pictures of delicious pies. If you are wondering why I am doing this, the answer is simple. Late last night when I was going to bed for the second time, lemon meringue pie came on strong as a craving. Considering that all I have wanted is carbs and pickles, any change from that seemed like something I should jump on. And since my Aunts are here visiting, two seems better than one. So here I go. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You'll do great. Husband can build a torch to brulee the top too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so interested in where you are. I grew up in the Eckert area.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete