In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cake

Last night was S's Boy Scout father and son cake auction. Him and Hubby made a camping-themed cake. They made a similar one for the same event in Fort Collins back in January. The cake turned out great. S wanted to buy it back, but in the end he let someone else win the bid.


The cake we won was a pirate ship. The cake had already fallen apart and was being held together with skewers and so much chocolate frosting that I got a sugar buzz just looking at it.


 Over night it fell apart even more. It was no longer recognizable as any sort of a ship. In fact, it looked as if I had let the children go at it with their bare hands. For today's lunch break during branding, I took the cake down where it was well received and thankfully, mostly eaten. I have only a small amount left of what has been dubbed the "Tornado Cake". I am quite certain it will be gone by tomorrow evening. This is good news considering that I baked a cake today for my Uncles' birthday. A chocolate bundt cake to be precise. This turned out sooo much better than the lemon meringue pies. I melted some of the leftover icing from the Scout cake and drizzled it over the top and then served it with blackberries. It was delicious, but I am now at my limit for cake for at least three weeks. At which point I will be baking a cake for S's ninth birthday. 







3 comments:

  1. Nice job to S and Dad on the cake. Sorry to hear the other was a ship wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me so happy that you said the cake was a ship wreck, J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the best B day cake and the best B day I've had in a long time , thanks to you and yours!! We realy injoyed visting and WHAT A BARN, aspecialy the occupents upstairs.

    ReplyDelete