In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A good day to...

Today was a good day to feel sick. I mean, if there is such a thing as a good day to feel sick, a rainy, blustery, cold day seems to be it. My man stayed home to take care of me, or rather to take care of the children since I had an incapacitating headache.

What happens when Mommy tries to get a little rest.
 He actually managed to get quite a bit done on his unexpected "day off". Nana and Papa recently tore down their old porch so they can update it and freshen things up a bit. Hubby was able to repurpose some of the metal handrails and columns into a milking stanchion. For those unfamiliar with the lingo, that is a stand that the goat is restrained on during milking time. Some of the other metal rails will be put to use in our garden this year for the tomatoes, peas and beans to climb up. Hubby sure likes having the barn to work in when the weather is as horrible as it was today.

Hubby helping Papa. Kiddos being curious.
This pic is actually from yesterday when the weather wasn't as horrible.

The base for the stanchion
This afternoon, the rain stopped even though the wind kept blowing and I was able get a couple pictures of the fields turning greener and the baby cows that are scattered all over.



By nightfall, even the wind had finally stopped and my headache seemed to taper off enough that I could go spend some quality time with the goats. They have so much personality. The babies clamber for attention. They accomplish getting this attention seeking by climbing into my lap or eating my pants. Thankfully, they have not managed to actually create any holes in any of my clothing. I could spend hours out there with them. Roxy bleats like crazy when I finally have to step away. Sweet Mama just needs some adult time every once in a while, and that is something that I can understand.


Luna thinking about eating my sweatshirt

Roxy and Nelly chowing down

Nelly nibbling my pajama bottoms

Curious kids
The chicks are getting to that awkward, gangly stage where they are half fuzz and half feathered. It seems like forever until they are producing eggs. It will be about 4 months or so, I guess.



We moved the kids' play kitchen out of their playroom and into our dining room. Legos have taken over too many times and T can't get to his kitchen. Since it is the only toy that keeps him occupied for any length of time, we felt it necessary for him to have access to it.

Hubby made this beautiful toy. And T loves it. Here he is in the oven.

1 comment: