In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stars

Our internet is down so I am double posting today. The older kids and I are up at Meme and Papas' place using their computer, so there will not be any Mollie pictures added or any pics for the Wednesday Wonder. The next post will have some pics for the Thursday/today post.

Our Wednesday Wonder is stars. I know, I know, generic. Millions of things have been written about stars. But here is our version. We have always had a deep love and fascination with the stars. Generally though, they are not easily viewed unless we are camping. Or at an observatory. Living in the middle of nowhere has changed that. The stars are breathtaking. They are so clear and so bright it makes you feel like you could climb to the top of the ridge and touch them. What is it about the moon and stars that make you feel so big and so small at the same time? The stars are timeless. I glimpse them, turn my head to focus on them and have to catch my breath everytime. I love learning the lore of the constellations. I love it when the kids learn something about them and share it with me. I love a full moon night when everything is lit by lunar light, but I equally love those moonless nights when the stars have their turn to shine. The stars are a wonder every night, not just Wednesday, but with the waning of the moon, especially after the "Supermoon", the stars deserve their chance to be a post.

No comments:

Post a Comment