In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Hindsight

I believe last nights' post was meant for me to write. I hope you got something out of it. I know I did. Today was one of those days that I had to constantly remind myself that life is beautiful. Despite the many times I actually said, "Life Sucks." I do not want to turn this into my own personal whine fest, so I will not fill you in on all the many reasons that statement was muttered, cried and hollered today. Just one reason. Because it's kind of funny. Now.
Meme and I went to pick up our new mousers. We thought this would be an easy task. Kitties who rub against your ankles must be easy to catch, right? Right??? An hour later and a few wrist and hand lacerations later, we decide that maybe we actually like mice. Maybe mice aren't the vile creatures we think them to be. Maybe feral cats are. Decision is made to let the cats decide if they want to get in the carrier. We leave to give them some space. Go home. Bandage self. Amuse baby boy with how many Toy Story Band-Aids Mommy has on her arm. Glad someone is amused. New decision to leave cats where they are and keep searching for mousers elsewhere. Phone call from lady with aforementioned mousers. She has successfully captured one. I pick it up, bring it to the barn, open carrier, cat zips out faster than I can blink. Maybe we will see him in the morning.



This post is lovingly dedicated to the memory of Grandpa Schurkamp who died peacfully this morning at home surrounded by our loved ones. We rejoice in his 90 years upon this Earth and are saddened by our loss of his presence here. We know that you have "gone home" as you so gracefully put it. We will miss you and we will love you until the end of our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment