In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Burnin'

For the past 9 years or so, recycling has been a natural part of our lives. From a very young age the children have learned how, why and what to recycle. We have even hauled our own recycling in areas that don't offer curbside pickup. S has been known to bring scrap paper home so he can recycle it and even convinced his art teacher to start a recycling bin for the paper waste from class. With chickens, we were able to reduce our waste even more by feeding them our food scraps. Thankfully, that will again be a part of our lives soon. So imagine our disbelief in learning that there is no recycling here. Or in the next town, or the next. I mean, we can't haul it anywhere. The first couple weeks we were here I couldn't actually throw recyclables away. Hubby had to do it for me. It gives me an actual pain. I know it's ridiculous. I can't help it. If I have to have a "crazy" I suppose a deep need to recycle isn't so bad in the scheme of things. We have slightly appeased this burden by burning our paper waste. Which, yes, is probably worse since it adds to air pollution, but not any more than a fireplace does. Now if only I can figure out what to do with the rest...



I can't figure out if we're dorks or pyromaniacs!
Burning was so exciting!
 

2 comments:

  1. You're dorks and pyromaniacs... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. Maybe you could help to start a recycling program for the area? Just basic stuff. Talk to the Mayor's office or a councilmen/women.

    ReplyDelete