In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Small Town Library

   There are times that living in a small town has drawbacks. Like when you want to go out to eat. Or buy organic groceries. Basically, anything to do with food. Which is even more frustrating when you are pregnant and all you want is gourmet olives, sushi and someone else to fix your meal. But a major benefit of being in a small town is getting to know others and be known around town. The trust that is automatically given is astounding. Take today, for example. M, T and I went to the library. I needed to fax something and we, of course, needed books. I didn't realize how much it would cost to fax and I fell short twenty-five cents. The librarian just rang me up with what I had and didn't even bat an eye. Later, as we were checking our books out, a different librarian and I were chatting about daughters and how they never fail to surprise you. I was loading my books back into the handy carts they provide for people like me that check out dozens of books at a time. As she handed me my last book, she glanced at the computer screen and said to me that not all of the books had checked out. I said I would unload them and start again and she just shrugged and said she wasn't going to worry about it, that we had checked out enough books in the past to (apparently) make us trustworthy. She trusted that I would return the books all together when they were due. Which of course I will. The library is the one place in the world I love unconditionally. No matter what town I visit, I have to seek out the local library. I love books and I love librarians. I love the smell of books. I love the crisp sound of pages being turned. I will never own one of those electronic devices that are supposed to replace books. In my mind, there is nothing better than a good book. Except for good food.

1 comment:

  1. I also could never use one of those weird electronic book things - they don't have the smell and feel of paper...

    ReplyDelete