In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Grand Junction

   Mama felt brave today and left the couch. Not to just go down to the barn or over to Meme and Papa's house. I mean really left. We took the children and headed to Grand Junction. Woohoo. There are small (and large) errands that you just need to do yourself. Plus, I HAD to get out of the house. I am not a sit still person. Not even a little bit. I have a hard time finishing sewing projects simply because I don't want to sit still to do them. I like to take the kids to new places. Or at least to the park and library. So being still has been challenging for me. Worth it, but challenging. We didn't do anything too big, just a little shopping, but, wow, it felt great. At any rate, I didn't get the other posts typed up that I said I would in my last post. A project for tomorrow, perhaps. I am a sleepy, worn out Mama, but very pleased indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment