In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The baby one

Today, my friends, was way less exciting than I would like to admit. I had so many plans and like life often enjoys doing, all of them went downhill fast. This is due to two things. One, a very sick hubby.

And this is a man who claims he doesn't like cats...

And two, a baby boy who seems to duplicate into 4 toddlers. Our oldest son was such a good boy that I never understood when people complained about their boys. But now I do. This little man of ours is as sweet as can be but so curious that he just can't help but get in trouble. The kind of trouble that actually makes me laugh when he isn't looking. He is obsessed with sweeping. I kid you not. He walks around with his little mop or my broom saying, "I sweep, I sweep, I sweep." It really is adorable. But at the same time a tiny man with a broom twice as tall as he is causes more damage than his "sweeping" could ever cause to be helpful. Another thing he enjoys doing is thoroughly grossing me out by announcing, "I drink", after he has stuck his face into the cats' water dish for a drink. Seriously. Gross. He dumps out board games. He takes apart Lego creations. He opens the front door and waves goodbye to people long after they are gone. He has a knack for placing himself in exactly the spot you need to be in while cooking, washing dishes, brushing your teeth, etc. But, oh, his smile. His voice. His baby giggle. His super apologetic embraces when he knows he is in trouble. He steals my heart time after time. So did I get much done today? Not exactly. But did I get to squeeze my kiddos? More times than they would probably want. I guess today wasn't such a boring day after all.     

Better look at him while he is sleeping. He moves too fast otherwise!


1 comment:

  1. Nothing says "I need a nap" like drinking cat water.

    ReplyDelete