In earlier American rural life, communities raised barns because many hands were required. These events occured in a social framework with a good deal of interdependence. Members of rural communities often shared family bonds going back generations. They traded with each other, worshipped with each other and celebrated with each other. Barn raisings were an integral part of life and socializing.

In our modern American life, communities don't mean nearly as much as they did back then. It is our family's goal to bring a sense of community back to our lives and those lives that touch ours.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Crystal Ball

           I need a crystal ball. Or my palms read. Or a tardis so I can travel to the future, sneak a peek and then pop back into present time and do what needs to be done. I feel I am at a major crossroads. I will be thirty-five later this year and with that I am realizing that some steps need to be taken to assure that I can be where I want to be by the time the kids are leaving the nest. The question is, where do I want to be?
     
           Sometimes I ache for our mountainside with all of its nature and space and farm animals. Sometimes I want to live in a little house by the ocean and live a beach life. Sometimes the hustle and bustle of a major city sounds appealing. Sometimes (a lot of the time) I want to be a gypsy and roam the earth in a funky motor home and see things I've never seen and learn things I didn't know that I didn't know.

           The reality is the mountains get lonely. I know nothing about living near an ocean. A major city would probably freak me out. Roaming with the amount of animals we have is out of the question.

          So the question remains: Where is this life taking me?


          A timely quote that I literally just read, by Brian Andreas
               "Somehow I got to thinking today is a good day to tell you all the things I've learned so far in my life (but without all the endless details that'd make your eyes roll back in your head) & I figured I'd probably run out of space, but at least I could make a start of it & then it hit me I've really only learned one thing & here it is: Life does what it wants & it's a whole lot more fun if you agree with whatever it is. That's all I've got so far"

1 comment: